Help Wanted : please contact the church office (618-233-8496) or Pastor Andy Wilson firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Part-time Music Director
St. John’s UCC of Smithton, IL is seeking a part-time Music Director for 20-25 hours per week. The Music Director will select, play and lead music for worship services. They will collaborate with the worship committee and pastor, and also establish opportunities for other music-related activities within the church.
Role/Areas of Responsibility
WORSHIP: 1. In cooperation with the Pastor and in communication with the worship committee, plan, implement, and be primary accompaniment for all worship services including all special services (Communion, Lent, Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Easter, Mother’s Day, Pentecost, Children’s Day, Father’s Day, Rally Day/Service i n the Park, Thanksgiving, Advent, Christmas Eve).
2. Attend Music Advisory Board and Worship Team meetings when scheduled.
3. Utilize opportunities to supplement and strengthen the worship experience (i.e. children’s time, lyric screens, recorded music, etc.).
4. Collaborate with the Administrative Assistant and Pastor regarding the order of worship, special music, organist schedule, and any other music and worship matters for the bulletin.
5. Communicate with guest pastors and special speakers about themes, Scripture, message title, technology capabilities, and assist them in using those capabilities if/when necessary.
MUSIC: 1. Schedule music for all services – vocals, organ, piano, guitar, guest musicians, etc.
2. Recruit and establish a small Children’s Choir - possible performances on a seasonal basis. Schedule and lead rehearsals and performances.
3. Recruit and establish a small Adult Choir - possible performances on a seasonal basis. Schedule and lead rehearsal and performances.
4. Collaborate with the Pastor, in creating seasonal worship service themes, and choosing worship hymns and songs for all worship services.
5. Serve as a “Music Librarian” for the church – purchase, file, catalogue, and supervise the lending out of all church music.
6. In cooperation with the Music Advisory Board and Christian Education Team schedule and coordinate the ministry of music for Vacation Bible School and the Children’s Annual Christmas Program.
7. If/when applicable: Recommend the tuning, maintenance, replacement, and/or purchase of new musical instruments.
8. Maintain our subscription to Christian Copyright Licensing International (CCLI) authorizing us to legally use other published materials.
9. Give leadership to congregational singing at worship services – encourage and inspire enthusiastic music and singing. Prepare or organize a “special music” performance 1x/mo.
10. Participate (when available) in preparing/providing music for weddings/funerals held at St. John’s UCC - will be paid according to a fee schedule outlined in the church’s bylaws. However, if the wedding/funeral is held off of church property, then the Music Director will negotiate their fees directly with the private party who is requesting the service.
11. For Annual Meeting: In cooperation with the Worship Committee, prepare a music/worship report presenting the previous year’s work along with a proposed budget/plan for the coming year for presentation to the council/congregation.
1. The Music Director shall work under the supervision of the Music Advisory Board and Lead Pastor, in cooperation with the Worship Committee, with ultimate accountability to the Consistory.
2. The Music Director shall meet regularly with the Lead Pastor for planning and prayer.
3. The Music Director shall meet with the Music Advisory Board and Pastor for performance review after three months, then six months, and one year. After that first year, annual performance reviews will be done through the Pastor . 4. The Music Director is expected to be at church on Sunday mornings. Flexibility will be given, in communication with the Lead Pastor, regarding vacation time.
Minimum qualifications: ● Piano experience necessary/required ● Vocal experience necessary/required (able to lead songs in worship confidently) ● 2-3 years music experience required Preferred qualifications: ● Organ experience preferred but not required ● Guitar and/or other instrumental experience preferred but not required ● Preferred 2 years minimum experience in worship or religious background