St. John's United Church of Christ in Smithton, Illinois began as a small rock building the size of the proverbial little red school house. It was named Franklin Church and was located in the Franklin Cemetery at the southwest end of Smithton. It was erected in 1848.
In early 1867, the cornerstone of the present church building was laid, and the finished church was dedicated in September of the same year.
In 1886, Rev. William Hosto became the pastor at St. John's. He served the church for fifty-eight years and retired in 1944.
The current parsonage was constructed by members of the church in 1905.
In 1951, a one-story educational building was built west of the church. Several years later, a second story was added, which currently houses the pastor's office, secretary's office, youth room, and Sunday School room.
An addition, containing a fellowship room, restrooms, and an accessible entrance was built on to the south side of the church in 1987.
In 2003, the church dedicated a beautiful cross sculpture that can be seen from Main Street (see photo on home page).
In 2005, the interior of the church was renovated for a third time.
Click below to learn more about St. John's with an emphasis on the history of its beautiful stained glass windows.